If you have a pond or a cistern that is fed from an external water source, you can use a Baseline biSensor soil moisture sensor with your Baseline controller to monitor the water level in a pond or cistern and turn on a valve when the water drops below a specified level. You program the controller to turn off the valve based on the time that it takes to refill the water.
Perform the following steps to use a biSensor to maintain the water level in a reservoir:
Step 1- Determine the acceptable low water level in the reservoir, and then calculate how much time is needed to refill the reservoir.
Step 2 - Install the biSensor in the reservoir at the low water level and wire it to the controller.
Take note of the serial number of the biSensor that you are installing in the reservoir. You will need this number when you program the controller.
For best results, position the biSensor vertically in the reservoir. It doesn’t matter which end is up, but mount the sensor so the wires can be routed out of the reservoir. Make sure that at least half of the biSensor blade is below the water at the depletion level.
Mount the biSensor securely so it does not move. Variations in the position of the biSensor will result in erratic behavior.
Follow the wiring instructions in the biSensor installation guide to connect the biSensor to the two-wire path or to the biSensor ports on the controller or on the powered biCoder.
Make sure that you maintain polarity on the wire connections.
Fasten the wiring with wire nuts, and then test communication with the controller before you complete the installation with waterproof connectors.
Step 3 - Program the controller to detect the low water reading.
Assign the biSensor
Take a biSensor ReadingDelete
Step 4 – Programming the Controller to Open the Valve for the Water Supply
Designate a Valve and a Program to Fill the Reservoir
In order to have the system operate only the valve that fills the reservoir, make sure that the biCoder for that valve is assigned as a single device in a program.
1. On the BaseStation 1000 controller, press Program Setup, and then select the Zone Runtimes option.
2. On the Zone Runtimes screen, press PRG to select a program number that is not used for any other watering. The Program number displays in the upper-left corner of the Zone Runtimes screen.
3. Press to highlight the serial number of the biCoder for the valve that fills the reservoir, and then press + or – to enter a runtime that is long enough to fill the reservoir.
4. Remember this program number.
Configure the Start Condition
1. On the BaseStation 1000 controller, press Program Setup. The Program Setup menu displays.
2. Press PRG until the program that you set up for the fill valve displays in the upper-left corner of the screen.
4. Press to highlight the Moisture Start option, and then press OK. A checkmark displays next to the Moisture Start option.
5. Press to configure the moisture start settings.
6. Notice that the serial number for one of your biSensors is highlighted in the Moisture field. If this is the serial number for the biSensor that monitors the refill level in the reservoir, no change is required. If you need to use a different biSensor, press + or – to select a different serial number.
7. Press to highlight the Limit field, and then press + or – to enter the refill moisture reading that you wrote down from the biSensor test.
8. Press to highlight Less Than Limit, and then press OK.
9. Make sure Only on Day & Time is not selected.
10. Do not start the Calibration.
11. Press RUN to exit Program Setup.
When the biSensor reading matches the value that you entered in the Limit field, the controller will open the valve to refill the reservoir and run for the amount of time that you configured in the Zone Runtimes screen.Delete